How to Create a House Manual for GuestsAugust 21, 2018 • By THIRDHOME
A house manual is a document, printed or digital, that informs guests about the property they’re visiting. If you already provide a house manual for guests, fantastic! If not, you may want to consider making one for future guests. They can come in all shapes and sizes. If you’ve ever visited a home with a property manager, you’ve probably seen some pretty nice ones with lamination, high-gloss print and tons of local information. But as a vacation homeowner without the benefits of a property manager, you might feel a little lost on where to start.
No worries, we’ll show you an easy way to create an informative and helpful house manual for your guests.
House manuals typically include a host introduction, arrival and departure information, a list of amenities, appliance information, and important contact information. They’re especially valuable to guests because no one knows your home and your destination like the host! You can use a house manual to share your favorite local activities, restaurants and hidden gems. So, are you ready to step up your hosting game?
You can start by downloading the THIRDHOME house manual booklet template or U.S. Letter template for Microsoft Word or by starting with a template of your own. Our template only requires Microsoft Word, Letter size (8.5” x11”) paper and a basic color printer.
1.Start by clicking the button below to download our house manual template.
The booklet template uses U.S. Letter sized paper folded in half.
The U.S. Letter template is best for traditional 3-ring binder layout.
2. Open the document.
3. Now, all you have to do is swap out the template information with your own!
4. Don’t forget to add those personal touches to make guests feel welcome!
5. Don’t miss important information for guests, like Wi-fi access.
6. (For Booklet template) When you’re finished editing be sure to change your print settings to “Booklet” under “layout.” This template is designed to print out on two Letter size pages, front and back. Also be sure to set your Paper Handling for US Letter and scale to size. Use a high-gloss paper for a sleeker look.
7. Now all that’s left is to fold your two pages down the middle. You can secure your spine with staples if you like.
9. Place a copy on your coffee table. Also, consider making a version for digital distribution (Save as PDF), so you can email it directly to your guest before their arrival!
Whether you used the template or a leather-bound tome, we hope that this inspired you to become a 5-star host! Remember, it’s the little things that make a house a home.