How to be the Perfect Home Exchange or Rental GuestJuly 25, 2018 • By THIRDHOME
Being a great guest for a home exchange or rental means treating the host’s home like your own.
The Golden Rule, do unto other’s homes as you would have them do unto your own, is the foundation of being a gracious guest. But as we discussed in our accompanying post, How to be the Perfect Home Exchange or Rental Host, it’s the small things that really leave an impression. Be sure to consider the following before, during and after your next THIRDHOME stay:
- Host Guest Manual: Did the host leave a house manual with a detailed description of amenities, contacts and procedures? If they did, follow this document to the tee. If it’s absent, reach out to your host to make sure you have a clear understanding of the property during your stay.
- Feedback: Did you leave an account of your experience in their guest book? Did you review your host’s property page? Delivering positive or constructive feedback to your host is key to making sure that the THIRDHOME experience remains consistent for both guests and hosts.
But being a perfect guest doesn’t end there. Keep reading to see how each stage of your trip should be approached as a guest.
Below we’ve outlined some of the most important things to consider when preparing for your stay at a host member’s property.
Before Booking your Stay
- Read the property page to see if you need to ask additional questions about the home
- Check for any additional fees before making a reservation
Directly After Booking your Stay
- After receiving your confirmation email reach out to your host to confirm arrival and departure details
- Make sure you know how to locate the home and have instructions for entry upon your arrival
During your Stay
- Treat the home as you would (or better than!) your own
- Upon arrival, if you see anything that is broken/damaged, be sure to let your host know right away
- Should anything be damaged during your stay, notify the owner so compensation can be discussed
Before Departing your Stay
- Tidy up after yourself
- Load the dishwasher and wipe off kitchen counters if dirty
- Collect and dispose of trash
- Follow any departure instructions left by the host (such as stripping beds, taking out trash, etc.)
- If your stay included staff or housekeeping, be sure to leave an appropriate tip for their services
- Bring a “thank you” gift for your host (bottle of wine, a souvenir from where you live, etc.)
- Leave a note thanking your host for opening their home to you!
- Leave a property review for other members! You will receive email/dashboard review prompts after your stay.
Ready to be the most gracious host in THIRDHOME history?
Click here to browse THIRDHOME Exchange availability.