Long gone are the days of the meticulously arranged holiday scrapbook and the vacation slideshow you forced your neighbors to endure.
In the age of social media, sharing your most precious memories with friends and family has never been easier. But for some, adopting new technologies can seem daunting. That’s why we’re going to walk, step-by-step, through how to post your vacation albums on both Facebook and Instagram.
There are many other social media mediums available, but it’s most likely that your friends and family are on one of these two platforms. As of March 1, 2018 Pew Research reported that 68% of Americans are on Facebook and 35% are on Instagram. Plus, uploading your favorite pictures and videos will make sure that your memories outlive the lifespan of your camera, phone or scrapbook.
So you want to share your latest THIRDHOME trip with your friends. Where do you start?
Step 1: If you don’t already have a Facebook/Instagram account, make one!
Creating a Facebook account is easy, and only requires a valid email address.
To create a Facebook account:
- Go to www.facebook.com/r.php.
- Enter your name, email or mobile phone number, password, date of birth and gender.
- Click Create an Account.
- To finish creating your account, you need to confirm your email or mobile phone number.
- Start adding your friends and family to your network!
- You can now use your Facebook credentials to create an Instagram page.
To create an Instagram account:
To create an Instagram account from the app:
- Download the Instagram app from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Once the app is installed, tap to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number, then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next. You can also tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with your email or phone number, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done. If you register with Facebook, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.
To create an Instagram account from a computer:
- Go to instagram.com.
- Enter your email address, create a username and password or click Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with an email, click Sign up. If you register with Facebook, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.
Step 2: Start posting!
Both platforms are very intuitive and easy to use. But some nuances of posting on each platform should be noted.
How to post your vacation album on Facebook
At the top of your Facebook feed you’ll see the “Make Post” box. Click “Photo/Video Album.”
You will then be prompted to select images from your computer or cell phone. Select the photos you would like to share with your friends and family.
After you’ve selected your pictures, the “Create Album” page will appear. Customize your album on this page by adding an album name, description, and captions on individual pictures. You can also allow other friends from your trip to contribute to your album by clicking “Add contributors” and searching your friend’s names.
Also, be sure to add a destination to your album so your friends and family know where you were!
You should also tag any friends that went on the trip with you. You can also tag the THIRDHOME page to make sure we see how much fun you had on your holiday. Click on any image on the “Create Album” page to tag a friend or organization involved in your post.
Now you’re ready to post your album. Before you post, make sure your share settings are to your liking. You can share your album with the world, with just your friends, a select group of friends or you can keep the album entirely private. Once you’ve selected your privacy settings click “Post.”
Viola, you have a shareable online album to keep your precious memories!
Now let’s talk about Instagram.
How to post your holiday pictures on Instagram
Instagram is an image driven social platform. It’s not very conducive for sharing entire vacation albums, but does work well for showcasing the best images from your trip. It’s also important to note that Instagram is a mobile-first social media site, meaning that it’s built to be used primarily on your phone. It is possible to post on a computer, but many of the features that make Instagram so great aren’t present on the browser version. So keeping this in mind:
You will first need to download the Instagram app in the app store.
Once you’re logged into Instagram, press the Plus (+) button at the very bottom of the screen.
Now you can upload a picture or video from your trip by selecting a file from your camera roll.
You can also use Instagram to edit and modify images.
Once you’ve picked and edited a photo you can enter a caption, tag @thirdhome and hashtag #StayWorldly to share your trip with the THIRDHOME community. Be sure to tag the people who traveled with you and tag the location to inspire other would-be travelers. You can also choose to share this image on Facebook, as well.
Other tips for posting on Social Media
Sharing your posts on social media is even better when you share it with friends. Be sure to follow your friends, family and travel partners. You can also follow our accounts on Facebook and Instagram.
Are you ready to share your travel experiences with the world?