Pont De L'Arn, Mazamet, France
Le Pavillon des Ourtels
Le Pavillon des Ourtels is situated in the Montagne Noir at the gateway to the Languedoc National Park - an area of outstanding beauty with lakes and mountains.
Our home is a unique wooden colonial style bungalow set in its own 14 hectares. The name of the property reflects its original use as the first local golf course (Le Pavillon), later developed into a summer house with verandha areas looking out across the stunning gardens and forest / streams (des Ourtels).
The property includes a tennis court, a heated saline pool (13 x 6m), a pool house with dining area/bar/pool table/ipod docking and speakers, and a converted basement "teen" area with two extra bedrooms and TV room, making this a wonderful family holiday home with space for great outdoor fun and adventures.
The house is under 10 minutes drive from the market town of Mazamet with twice weekly local produce markets, cafes, boulangeries, patisseries, supermarkets, bars and restaurants. Local chefs are often willing to come up to Le Pavillon to prepare meals.
The house comfortably sleeps up to 11 adults, with 9 in the house in two double bedrooms, two twin share and one single (with three bathrooms) and 2 in two single rooms in the cellar (with one shower room). There also put-me-ups enough for an extra 3 children.
The house features beautiful interiors throughout (with a second TV room and limited internet access). The kitchen is fully equipped and the cellar has washing / drying machines.
To take advantage of the great out doors, recommended local activities include canyoning, canoeing, horse trekking, quad biking, sailing, tree top rope activities, lake swimming and walking. The beautiful local 18 hole golf course is 5 minutes drive away. Within a one hour drive are more lakes, canals, vineyards, caves and historic medieval towns, such as Carcassone, Albi and Toulouse. The beaches are just over an hour away.
All in all, a great home to enjoy the great outdoors and this special part of France.
Single Family Home with 1 level
5 bedrooms, 3 baths, 4000 square feet
King, Queen, Twin, Twin, and Other
11 guests maximum
Carcassonne or Toulouse
45 minutes by car or 80 minutes by car
The gardens and pool area
Activities of Interest
- Wine Country
- In and around the nearby town of Mazamet there are dozens of bars and restaurants to choose from.
- The nearest beach is just 10 minutes away at the Lac du Montagnes. Mediterranean beaches are just an hour away.
- If bird watching is your pastime then the wide variety of natural habitats offers numerous opportunities to watch different species all within a few kilometres of La Pavillon des Ourtels.
- Canoeing on the rivers of the Agout, Tarn, Thore and many others is as close as 12 km away.
- The French are cycling fanatics and there are many wonderful cycling routes throughout the area as well as gentle leisure routes for the casual cyclist.
- There are many rivers and lakes throughout the area and fishing is permitted all year round. Fish Licence required.
- The nearest Bowling is just 12 km away in Castres and the nearest Go-karting is just 3 minutes drive away on the outskirts of Mazamet.
- The golf course in Mazamet is ranked in the top 30 in Europe. There is a driving range and a superb restaurant. Non-members are welcome to come and play all year round. There are a further six courses all within an hour's drive.
- There are a number of Horse Riding Centres within a few minutes of Mazamet. Lessons cost from as little as €12 per hour. Riders from the age of five are welcome.
- If you are an artist then you will be in your element enjoying the amazing and varied sceneries all within a short walk or drive from Mazamet.
- Anytime, anyplace, anywhere. In every town and village there are areas and dedicated boule pistes as well as established clubs.
- Mazamet has over 200 shops. Castres just 12km away is a large town with many more. Carcassonne larger still, just 50km away, but the best shopping can be found in the city of Toulouse which is just an hour away by car or direct train or bus.
- There are many wonderful routes throughout the area for both the serious walkers as well as gentle leisure routes for the casual ramblers. Guides are available from the local tourist office.
Places of Interest
- The medieval city of Carcassonne, the only fortified town in Europe still inhabited, is just a 40 minute drive away from Mazamet.
- Nestled between mountains and the river Tarn, you will find the delightful cathedral city of Albi.
- Béziers, first settled by the Phoenicians, and later an important military post during Roman times, is now populated by some 71,000 inhabitants.
- With 135 sporting clubs and 27 rugby & football pitches in Castres, it’s no wonder it was named “the most sporting town in France” in 1997. It is also home to Castres Olympic – one of the top 10 teams in France.
- Located at the junction of the rivers Arget and Ariège, Foix is known for it’s battlements and towers – features of the keep of the 15th century Chateau de Foix.
- Although it is the commercial centre for North West Tarn, Gaillac is best known for it’s wine production. Wines have been produced in Gaillac since Roman times and have turned a small market town into a world-renowned area for wine production.
- Montpellier is wonderfully placed geographically. It’s town centre has lived through medieval times and successfully combines both modern architecture and a vast array of 17th and 18th century private mansions.
- With it’s geographical positioning and the fact that a large percentage of its population is of Spanish origin, it’s not surprising that Perpignan is as much Catalan as it is French.
- With over 24 centuries of history, Toulouse is full of fascinating sights, buildings, monuments, museums and galleries. It is host to a wealth of art and culture made easily accessible for all to enjoy.
Perfect house for holidays
We had a great family vacation at Le Pavillon des Ourtels. The house is spacious and kid friendly. The veranda and pool are particularly nice features of this property, filled with games and toys. The owners were really helpful in recommending restaurants and activities in the area.”
- 40"+ TV
- Chef's Kitchen
- DVD Player
- Multiple TVs
- Outdoor Pool
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Washer & Dryer
- iPod Dock Stereo