Innerleithen, United Kingdom
Just an hour from Edinburgh airport, Glen is classic Scottish country estate hidden in the hills of the Scottish Borders, where a natural refuge of 18th century designed landscape of parkland and woods sweeps up to heather moorland on all sides. It is a magical place, much sought after for guests to visit and locals to call home.
In the midst of this private 5,000-acre refuge stands the Scots baronial masterpiece Glen House. The house was built in the mid 19th century by the Scottish industrialist, Charles Tennant and is still owned today by his descendants. Filled with original furnishings, this is a unique and authentic home in the grand tradition of British country houses. The gardens are noted for their herbaceous borders and series of terraces.
Although baronial and imposing on the exterior, inside Glen House is extremely comfortable with an emphasis on private hospitality. The ground floor is generous with a sitting room, billiard room, library, dining room and hall. With room for fifteen guests, most of the eight available bedrooms upstairs are ensuite with sitting areas and commanding views up and down the valley. The lower service level has laundry facilities and a wonderful commercial kitchen.
The Glen House housekeeper will be present during your stay. We can recommend a local country-house chef to prepare and, if desired, serve meals.
Local activities include salmon fishing on the River Tweed, hiking on and off the estate, swimming at Loch Eddy, shooting nearby, mountain biking.
Peebles is the local village with all the charm you would expect. Edinburgh is one of Britain’s great regional capitals with museums, shopping and world-class restaurants.
Estate with 3 levels
8 bedrooms, 6 baths, 20000 square feet
King, King, Queen, King, Queen, Twin, King, and Queen
15 guests maximum
55 minutes by car
The beautiful Scottish country side
Additional FeesThere is GBP £50 per day additional fee to contribute towards the services of the housekeeper who will provide:
- Meet and greet
- House orientation
- Daily house-keeping
- Excursion management
A private chef and food service can be provided by separate arrangement
Activities of Interest
- All the famous recreation in the the area like the Glentress mountainbike centre and Tweed River fishing and shooting are nearby.
- Visit Kailzie Equestrian Centre for an adventure. Swimming and boating on private Loch Eddy. Stobo spa.
Places of Interest
- Secluded along the Quair Water, Glen is also minutes to Innerleithen and Peebles; about an hour to the centre of Edinburgh and 30 minutes to the new Gorebridge train station.
- Traquair House - Scotland’s Oldest Inhabited House. Spanning over a thousand years of Scottish history. Walter Scot's historic home Abbottsford twenty minutes.
- Dawyck Botanic Gardens. Robert Smail's Printing Works is a fully working Victorian letterpress print works.
There are no reviews for this property yet.
- Chef's Kitchen
- Espresso Machine
- High Speed Internet
- Laundry Service
- Outdoor Grill
- Pets (with Approval)
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet
- iPod Dock Stereo