Gimcheon, Korea, Republic of
Traditional Korean Home
South Korea is an engaging, welcoming place where the benefits of a high-tech nation are in perfect balance with a reverence for tradition and old Asia culture.
The home is located between the cities of Gumi and Gimcheon, in the North Gyeongsang Province. Situated almost at the center of Korea, the area is on the major land transportation routes between Seoul and Busan.
This very special traditional Korean home is called a “Hanok”, which is a term to describe the traditional architecture. The layout and structure reflects the history of ancient Korean architecture and society.
In 2015, this home won the prestigious "Hanok of The Year" award granted by the Korea Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport.
Most of the interior is made of pine wood and other natural materials. The paper used throughout the house is made from natural wood pulp.
The interior has 5 rooms which can be arranged accordingly and it is mostly minimalist as much of Korean daily life utilises the floor surfaces, the ondol culture (the core of the family’s indoor temperature control) is important for the Korean culture.
In Western countries, a cold floor is often avoided through the use of chairs and beds. However, the comfort of the ondol means that Korean people, rather than avoiding the floor, make full use of it. In fact, the reason that it is necessary to take off shoes before entering a house is to keep the floor as clean as possible. This is because the floor is used for sleeping; mattresses are stored during the day and placed on the heated floor at night for sleeping.
At the back of the house there is a spa with two Jacuzzis (Japanese and Korean styles). There is also a walk in shower and a Scandinavian style steam room.
If you are looking for a traditional, authentic Korean experience, then you have come to the right place
Single Family Home with 1 level
3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 3500 square feet
Other, Other, and Other
8 guests maximum
Daegu airport, Incheon airport
30mins by car , 2hrs by train
The mountains of Central South Korea and the lake.
Activities of Interest
- Snow Skiing
- Geumo Mountain Provincial Park, popular hiking destination. Also home to amusement area Geumo Land and reservoir, and The Doesan Cave, Daehye Waterfall and HaeUn Buddhist Temple.
- Downtown Gimcheon, centered around the train station, consists of the largest selection of shopping in town. In the middle of town there is a popular five-day market.
- Mt. Hwangaksan (1,111m in elevation), is located in the Sobaeksan Mountains. The area is a well known habitat for many cranes, and its also famous for its thick pine forests, pristine streams, beautiful fall foliage and splendid snowscapes.
Places of Interest
- Jikjisa Temple - located at the foot of Mt. Hwangaksan. The temple was constructed in 418 and it is an important head temple of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism.
- The Temple also features Birojeon Hall (‘Cheonbuljeon Hall’), in which approximately 1,000 Buddha statues are enshrined, along with a thousand year old arrowroot. Iljumun Gate and Daeungjeon Hall.
- Daegu City - South Korea’s fourth largest city is a pleasant and progressive place with a fascinating traditional-medicine market, some excellent eating options and a humming downtown that’s good fun to explore.
There are no reviews for this property yet.
- 40"+ TV
- Air Conditioning
- Covered Parking
- DVD Player
- Gated Community
- Handicap Accessible
- High Speed Internet
- Hot Tub
- Indoor Pool
- Multiple TVs
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet